Project LERSSSS [ENG]

Tänne saa laitella esille mm. omia 3D-malleja ja valmiita tulosteita sekä muita projekteja.

Project LERSSSS [ENG]

ViestiKirjoittaja Murkula » 10.08.2016 18:43

Laser Engraver for Round Shafts/Stock/Stick/Stuff = LERSSSS

As I mentioned earlier in here I have promised my good friend Julle to build him a laser engraver for wooden arrow shafts. And since this friend of mine is french and I promised to keep him informed about the progress I decided to write this thread in english. You can check out the arrows that he makes at https://www.vikingarrows.com/.

Basically after somewhat successfully building an EggBot-like machine, this isn't so much different. All I need is
  • beer
  • 2 stepper motors
  • 2 stepper motor drivers
  • laser module with control board (was thinking something like 12V 500mW 405nm)
  • slide for X-axis
  • more beer
  • some sort of easy mechanism for shaft rotating (already have a few ideas)
  • power source
  • Arduino'ish microcontroller
  • a pile of (un)essential stuff like buttons, switches, sensors, LCD-display, casing, safety glasses
  • and in case I forgot to mention, BEER!
That should be enough for starters...

I was thinking that since the machine is propably going to be used regularly as part of a hand-crafting production line, the build quality should be as near industrial grade as it is reasonably possible. Besides Julle promised to fund all the materials :D That been said, after a quick calculation with Julle the initial price tag would stay under 200€ but I don't believe it to be a strict constraint in the end...

All ideas and thoughts are more than welcome!
Viimeksi muokannut Murkula päivämäärä 14.08.2016 11:13, muokattu yhteensä 1 kerran
Murkula

Re: [ENG] Project LERSSSS

ViestiKirjoittaja james_III » 13.08.2016 08:03

This sounds interesting, I don´t have any experience about Eggbot painting machines, but me thinks this should be reasonable doable. Would it be enough of programming if there is normal program with X/Y and machine x steps are divided so cylinder face represents flat surface. Egg shape might be more difficult, but that´s not the case.

Highly recommend to make laser height adjustable, lets say at least 60mm, those small CE laser focal points are not exactly super accurate, with adjustable heigh you can cope (and risk of dropping lens in the middle of the run goes down)
james_III

Re: [ENG] Project LERSSSS

ViestiKirjoittaja take » 13.08.2016 21:35

james_III kirjoitti:Would it be enough of programming if there is normal program with X/Y and machine x steps are divided so cylinder face represents flat surface. Egg shape might be more difficult, but that´s not the case.

That's pretty much it. Egg shape isn't really that different, atleast on eggbot-variant, since as far as I know they don't make any corrections with curved surface. Things I've seen online and in real life don't differ so much from the old matrix-printers, instead of needles and ink-tape they just use laser. Mechanics are pretty close to matrix printer as well, even if the parts Murkula will use are a bit more hacker friendly and more beefy than ones you can find inside old printer. Nothing too fancy tho, nema17 steppers, drivers, arduino, linear rail, gt2 belt and so on.

Adjustable height for focus is pretty much mandatory, but we discussed about this with Murkula lately and he got nice idea on how to maintain focus with alternating arrows. It's a bit difficult to explain it just with words, but I'm pretty confident that he'll deliver images in a while for the prototype.

The hardest part for the whole project (IMO) is actually "just" safety, so that everything is assembled so that there's no way one could lose eyesight with laser. And only difficulty there is pretty much the price everything will cost, laser filtering glass isn't really that cheap and I wouldn't rely on word from the cheapest supplier at china that the film they sell actually works.
take

Re: Project LERSSSS [ENG]

ViestiKirjoittaja Murkula » 14.08.2016 12:42

I intend to leave the Eggbot-code out of this project and instead at least start with GRBL since there already are builds that use it. As an interface I had ChilliPeppr or Benbox in mind but I really haven't studied that field yet since I first have to make up my mind if I want the laser-axis to lay on the side or on top of the workpiece.

I just started using Autodesk's Fusion 360 and even if I had a little earlier experince in different CAD-softwares, this is quite a start-from-the-basics process. There are, as in any software, it's own annoyances but so far as a free licence software it feels really good. Here's a little sneak peek of what I've made so far:
Kuva
Here we have a narrow aluminium profile and the slide rail is bolted on top of it. On the slider block is a 10mm thick aluminium bracket that connects the slide and the laser module.

james_III kirjoitti:Highly recommend to make laser height adjustable, lets say at least 60mm, those small CE laser focal points are not exactly super accurate, with adjustable heigh you can cope (and risk of dropping lens in the middle of the run goes down)

Yes, that is what I already had in mind but simply because I have no clue what the initial focal point distance should be... But yea, either tha laser-axis or the workpiece holder assembly will be attached from both ends to a profile as shown in picture above. I plan to make some sort of adjustment screw there as well. We'll see...
Murkula

ViestiKirjoittaja Murkula » 10.09.2016 16:23

Since it's almost a month I last posted here, I'll share a small status update for the project.

A week ago I started my 2-year study leave so that has kept be a bit busy lately, but has also opened some new possibilities considering the project. I don't yet know what kind of machinery they have on the metal department of my school, but I do know that (at least) they have a 5-axis cnc-milling machine and they don't frown so much to personal project as they do at my workplace.

Also before I hung up my working gloves (literally, see picture below) I scavenged a nice linear rail from the maintenance cage trash bin. Out of three slide blocks one was jammed but even if I have to cut it away there should still be enough rail to have around 500mm travel. The other two slides felt nice and there was no noticable play. I'll share the measures and show a picture when I get it cleaned properly.

And here's a pic of the "farewell" message I left for the guys at my work spot:
Kuva

The picture is a bit blurry so here's the link for the comic strip: http://www.hs.fi/fingerpori/s1349762509647
Murkula

ViestiKirjoittaja james_III » 18.09.2016 20:18

Laittelin tilaten http://www.ebay.com/itm/142105570732 445nm 2.5W 2500mW Blue Laser Module Raportoin kun on jotakin raportoitavaa 8-)
james_III

ViestiKirjoittaja Murkula » 12.11.2016 09:10

And finally some progress in this project: I placed order from 15 different chinese sellers with the total a bit below 170 euros. In this order there should be all the critical component that I can't make by my own or steal/borrow from Take + a couple extra pieces since some parts seemed to be so much cheaper when bought in a lot.

More updates as I receive the parts...
Murkula

ViestiKirjoittaja james_III » 01.12.2016 18:23

I´m ready to read more :P
james_III

ViestiKirjoittaja Murkula » 17.04.2017 19:46

Hi folks!
Some progress pictures so you know this project is still kickin'...

In the picture below is the test assembled casing. It's made of HDF-aluminium-styrofoam-sandwich elements that are cutouts from a factory that manufactures doors to houses. Outer dimensions are 893x360x360 mm and with 40 mm wall thickness inner length is 813 mm or 32 inches so hopefully Julle can fit his arrows in and I don't have to drill any extra holes to the end walls.
Kuva

Here's the early version of the X-axis rail frame assembly. The rail was originally a bit longer but it had a bend at the other end and was cut to 500 mm. The rail is a bit overkill for this project but considering my current economical situation it'll have to do...
Kuva

A closeup of the adjuster. The rail is bolted to a plate that slides inside of the main beam. When this bolt is slightly loosened you can raise or lower both ends individually to achieve even focus at the whole lenth of the workpiece.
Kuva

I ordered a 3D-printed bracket for the laser module from Take, so next I'll propably start to figure out how to drive that huge block back and forth...
Murkula

Paluu Muut projektit